Dr Wesley Fraser discusses his research which focuses on the Kuiper belt, and the possibility of the hypothetical Planet Nine. Dr Fraser gave us an excellent lecture on this subject in Belfast last session. (Thanks to Peter Millar for alert)
- Brand New Shows – Secrets of Gravity for Kids and Asteroid: Mission Extreme (Narrated by Sigourney Weaver) for Adults – Pre-booking required by calling 02837523689
- The Emerald Garrison's Force Academy on 8th July
- Minecraft on 13th, 14th and 15th July – booking required via www.armagh.co.uk/science/
- Jurassic Week from 17th – 22nd July with a special guest appearance of Rex the Dinosaur on the 22nd July!
- Heroes and Legends returns to Armagh Planetarium on Saturday 5th August and Sunday 6th of August (exceptional Sunday opening!)
- Astronaut Sculpting Week from 21st - 25th August
- The Micro Zoo are visiting on 26th August
- Evenings with an Astronomer on 5th & 26th July and 16th & 30th August. – Pre-booking required by calling 02837523689
- As well as all these amazing events, our famous water rocket workshop and space arts and crafts will be running throughout the whole of the summer and 6 digital theatre shows will be running daily!
(Thanks to Dr Norah Patten and Kevin Nolan for this info)
11. Blackrock Castle Observatory Space Camps, July 10 - 21
Book your space camper in for a fun filled week of space and science activities.
Join us each day from 9:30 to 12:30.
Week 1 | July 10 - 14 | suitable for ages 7 to 9
Week 2 | July 17 - 21 | suitable for ages 10 to 12
The cost for each Space Camper is €95 per child which includes 1 week of Space Camp, Space Camp t-shirt & all activity materials.
Payment must be paid before your chosen Space Camp begins. 10% Discounts apply for members and siblings attending.
12. IAA Solar Day, 6 August, WWT, Castle Espie, 2 - 5 p.m. More details later.
13. New: Skellig Star Party, Ballinskelligs, Co Kerry, 18-21 August. See www.skelligstarparty.com, Facebook: Skellig Star Party, Twitter @SkelligStarParty, E: email@example.com. In the Kerry International Dark Sky Reserve.
14. AstroCamp 2017 The European Southern Observatory (ESO) and the Centre for Astrophysics of the University of Porto (CAUP) are collaborating to support AstroCamp 2017, an astronomy-focused summer academic programme for secondary school students. The Summer AstroCamp 2017 will be held from 6 to 20 August in northern Portugal, at the Centre for Environmental Education and Interpretation of the Corno de Bico Protected Landscape. The applicant with the best application from one of ESO's Member States who is eligible to apply will win a bursary offered by ESO that will cover the camp fee.
Read more http://www.eso.org/public/
15. Backyard Worlds: Planet Nine. Backyard Worlds is hoping to discover a large planet at the fringes of our solar system — a world astronomers call Planet Nine. But Backyard Worlds need your help! Finding such dim objects requires combing through images by eye, to distinguish moving celestial bodies from ghosts and other artifacts. So come and join the search — there are many images to look through. In the end you might discover a rogue world that's even nearer to the Sun than Proxima Centauri! Discover more about the project and how to contribute here: https://www.zooniverse.org/
16: FUTURE EVENTS ALERT:
Astronomy Museums, Visitor Centres, & Public Observatories Workshop, 27-29 September 2017, Leiden, the Netherlands. See: https://www.
World Space Week 2017: 4–10 October 2017, Location: All around the world. More Information: http://www.worldspaceweek.org/
International Observe the Moon Night: 28 October 2017, Location: All around the world, More Information: http://observethemoonnight.
* NEXT LECTURE: The first lecture of the new IAA season will be on Wed 20 September 7.30 p.m., Bell Lecture Theatre, Physics Building, QUB. Free admission. Free parking on QUB campus after 5.30 p.m. http://irishastro.org.uk/
* 36th International Meteor Conference, in Petnica, Serbia, from September 21 to 24, 2017. For details contact the Local Organizing Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
* International Observe the Moon Night, 28 October 2017. More Information: http://observethemoonnight.
19. JOINING the IRISH ASTRONOMICAL ASSOCIATION: This link downloads a Word document to join the IAA. http://documents.irishastro.
If you are a UK taxpayer, please tick the 'gift-aid' box, as that enables us to reclaim the standard rate of tax on your subscription, at no cost to you. You can also make a donation via Paypal if you wish: just click on the 'Donate' button. See also www.irishastro.org.