1. EARTH SMILED FOR SATURN: Last Friday evening, NASA's Cassini spacecraft photographed Saturn and its entire ring system during a total eclipse of the Sun. The images also captured, in natural colour, a glimpse of our own planet and the Moon, next to Saturn and its rings on a day that was the first time Earthlings knew in advance their picture would be taken from a billion miles away.
I'm sure I can see our IAA group at Delamont Country Park! In fact, is that me waving in the top left corner?
2: IAA SATURN EVENT was a great success: To mark the event, the IAA held a special Saturn Observing Event, at Delamont Country Park. The great weather continued, blessing us with clear skies. We started with a 'Bring Your Own' BBQ followed by observing the Moon and Saturn, and then 'posing for the picture' by Cassini. See the photos on the IAA website www.irishastro.org
3. ASTRONOMY PLAY, DUBLIN:
Amy from Take the Space (firstname.lastname@example.org) sent a message. "Dear members of The Irish Astronomical Association, I'd like to tell you about the Irish premiere performance of a play about women, their men and astronomy from Take the Space who previously produced HANGING HOOKE. STELLA will be performed at Dublin Festival of Curiosity on the 26th and 27th of July. We are hoping that STELLA will create a small marriage between Art and Science, which is why we would love to see you there. Yours sincerely, Amy: Take the Space. 07403664281." The Play is in the Smock Alley Theatre, in Exchange Street Lower, off Wood Quay.
4. SUMMER EVENTS AT ARMAGH PLANETARIUM. Launch rockets, become a Jedi Master, meet Star Wars Stormtroopers, make your own pinhole camera or take part in our Laser Quest! These are just some of the wonderful activities on offer this summer at Armagh Planetarium. We also have three brand new Digital Theatre shows for you to enjoy as well!
For details see: http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=9c6a36ad9d2b2c7918aa4fe9a&id=0a8ebc9d8c&e=1b80e453eb
5: SUMMER SCOPES SALE, from North Down Telescopes:
I have a couple of second hand scopes which might be of interest to members - they are excellent bargains
* Skywatcher 10" 250px Flextube dobsonian Telescope - second hand, all as new, boxed - Excellent value - £480. See;
* Celestron CPC 800 - rare opportunity to own this magnificent second-hand instrument - £1,350 - just a few months old - massive savings on new instrument with full Celestron Warranty, boxed etc. See:
Both scopes, although second hand are boxed and come as new with one year warranty.
Andy McCrea: email@example.com
6. IAA at the 'RSPB BWSO', 10 August. The IAA has been asked to participate in an event organised by the RSPB at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum at Cultra, near Holywood, Co Down. Entitled the 'Big Wild Sleep Out', it will feature overnight camping, with all sorts of night-time activities, including skywatching (if clear), and starshows with the mobile planetarium. It will be just coming up to the maximum of the Perseids meteor shower, so we should see some good activity from a fairly dark site, if it's clear.
The event is now on the RSPB, NMNI, Cotswold Outdoor and IAA websites. Cotswold Outdoor will be offering prizes of a tent worth £250, 5 family spots and we also have 5 RSPB goody bags with mugs, biscuits, chocolate and RSPB wildlife books all to be won!
7. PICS FOR NEW IAA WEBSITE PHOTO GALLERY. President and webmaster Paul Evans has produced an excellent new photo gallery on the updated IAA website. See www.irishastro.org. We would love to have any photos from members showing past IAA events and activities for a "Pics from the Archive" section. Credits will be given to respective owners of course.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2370100/Scientists-GIANT-Pandoravirus-come-alien-planet.html (not Little Green Men, but Little Green Microbes?)
9. TWITTER: Follow the IAA on Twitter: @IaaAstro
11. JOINING the IRISH ASTRONOMICAL ASSOCIATION is easy: This link downloads a Word document to join the IAA. http://irishastro.org.uk/iaamembership.doc. If you are a UK taxpayer, please tick the 'gift-aid' box, as that enables us to reclaim the standard rate of tax on your subscription, at no cost to you. You can also make a donation via Paypal if you wish: just click on the 'Donate' button. See also www.irishastro.org.
I'm now back on Twitter, after some temporary hiccups: @terrymoseley2